Alchemy LLC BOD Minutes: March 2008

Alchemy BOD Meeting 2008.03.08 3:21 pm – Meeting startPresent: Lee, Joshua, and Lovelace. Troy and Rebecca on speaker phone. Danielle not present. Item 1: Issue brought up on list about child welfare

  • Propose to table the issue until the April meeting because Danielle is not present. Burning Man, Inc. will probably want to have input via Danielle. It will also benefit us to ask for their input and draw on their previous experience. A viable solution may already be in place.
  • Agreed

Item 2: Regarding access to the volunteer contact list:

  • Majority (5:1) voted in Yahoo poll to open the contact list to all people with an alchemyfestival.com email address. The minority vote was to open the contact list to an audience broader than the alchemyfestival.com domain, so all members agree to open up access to the contact list.
  • Agreed to go with majority vote in the poll.
  • There was discussion about people not wanting their information available, but it was decided that anyone concerned about privacy issues can create a free Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc. account that we can use to contact them. Anyone who chooses to withhold their phone number from this list may do so. Street addresses are not on the list.

Item 3: Open/closing the gate

  • Gates open: 9am Thursday
  • Gates close: 8pm Saturday
  • Site close: 6pm Monday

There was some discussion about having enough staff on site by 9 a.m. Thursday to handle opening the site at that time. The consensus was that that we should set the expectation that the event will open at this time and make sure that we have the staff to handle it. All agree to these hours. Item 4: Art teamClove just sent an email to the board list, organizers, etc. list about their progress to date. Item 5: Effigy meeting last weekLee was there. They’ve decided how they will divide their various tasks. Item 6: Scarlett’s application for volunteer team leadThe consensus was that this is probably one of the biggest team lead commitments. The team needs someone with good organizational skills as well as people who reach across boundaries and can bring people together. We think it would be best to have two co-leads for this team. Board agrees to accept Scarlett as co-lead. Item 7: Press releasesHow and when to handle those. Do we want the media team or board to handle. Our long term goal is to have a person or persons on the media team handle requests for information. These people would ideally have some experience communicating with the press, but the most important thing is that the message they send out be consistent with the board’s intent. Because we don’t currently have that, and because the members of the board could be held liable for anything said to the press, it was agreed that the board should handle responses to the press for the time being. The matter of formal press releases and creating a Wiki page have a fairly low priority right now, so we decided not to do them. Next meeting: Sat, April 12 @ 3:00 pmFacilitating: RebeccaMinutes: JoshuaHosting: Lee (if Danielle doesn’t want to) Meeting end at 4:03 p.m.”

Alchemy LLC BOD Minutes: February 2008

“Alchemy Board MeetingFebruary 9, 2008Location:  ShadowbrookPresent:  Danielle, Joshua, Troy, Rebecca, Lee, Lovelace (all)Lovelace lead the meeting.Agenda Item 1.  Letter to Burning Man regarding official regional status.Letter is drafted and approved.  Troy will hand deliver this at the regional summit (February 15-18) in San Francisco.Agenda Item 2.  Burn Bios from Board Members, for website.Bios are still due from Joshua, Lovelace and Danielle.  Board was prompted to also send in photos.Agenda Item 3.  Temple for Alchemy 2008.Troy is going to re-address people who are interested.Agenda Item 4.  Team Leads.The Board confirmed:Justin- Music LeadMike – Site LayoutPete – Fire ConclaveLee – LNT LeadKeith – EffigyClaudia – GateStill unfilled roles as of meeting date were as follows:  Medical, Fire Safety, Mobile Art, Volunteer Coordinator, Site Services and Temple.Rebecca agreed to follow up with Tunna regarding his interest in Site Services.Other possible people to talk with about lead positions included Fuzzy for Medical and Ryan for Site Services.  Danielle agreed to talk to Ryan, and Lee agreed to talk to Fuzzy.New Business:1.  Fire Safety ideas.The Board discussed talking about fire safety issues in the Alchemy newsletter.2.  Voting Online.The Board agreed to try the Yahoo poll feature for voting purposes.  Poll items will be maintained by whoever is acting as secretary at the moment.3.  Parking Issues onsite.The Board agreed that we don’t want a ton of cars parked within the festival this year.  The Board agreed that all cars parked within the camping area must be decorated, regardless of if they are mobile or not.  Such cars must register with Mobile Art.The Survival Guide will discuss this further, as well as the No In and Out policy will be stressed.4.  Promoter who contacted Joshua.Joshua updated the Board on the music promoter.  The decision was made that the promotor should be directed to Theme Camp Lead as well as Center Camp Lead.  Joshua felt that the promotor understood the idea behind burns, and would not be a problem.5.  Tickets.Tickets will go on sale April 1st.Next Meeting is at Lovelace’s house.  Lee will take minutes, Rebecca will lead. “

Alchemy LLC BOD Minutes: January 2008

” Meeting begins at 3:17 pm.Present: Danielle, Joshua, Lee, Lovelace, Rebecca, TroyTopic: Date selection for 2008 event10/2-6 is ok’d by landowners; still waiting to hear from AtlPsy and Touch Samadhi if the date is a conflict. Overall response from Burning Ring of Fire was good about date- no events conflicting.Topic: Letter to Burning Man requesting official regional event statusAction: Troy will draft letterTopic:  place created on website for minutes to be postedAction: each board member will write a bio to post to board listTopic: TempleAction: Rebecca put out word about the temple via various yahoo lists and the Alchemy Tribe. Troy will be in touch with the Transformus BOD about posting on their various lists and sites. Danielle will post word on Burning Regions tribe ( http://burningregions.tribe.net/)Topic: Team lead applications thus farRebecca spoke with Keith regarding effigy team, he is stoked about taking this role on, and has been independently working on supporting his weaknesses by finding support for his team.A discussion ensued regarding the process of  applying for team lead roles. Decided that the process was second to the goal (getting people involved).Action: Joshua will restate the call with a clarification to just express interest, adding an “accessible” vibe.Discussion about Joshua’s and Clove’s applications indicate board approval thus far, but no decisions will be made until after the 15th. Joshua stated that he viewed his responsibility as Ranger Team Lead as being the coordination of volunteers in the Rangering role, but not specifically recruiting enough volunteers to fill every shift. He stated that if enough people didn’t volunteer to fill every shift, then he would take that as a sign that the community didn’t view Rangering every shift as essential, and would fill the shifts that he viewed as highest-priority (e.g. burn night). He requested confirmation from the board that this was consistent with their values and expectations, and the board confirmed it. We identified that the roles we need in place now are Effigy Lead, Art Team, Event Lead, Media, Volunteer lead, and Temple Lead. Joshua stepped up to be the temporary lead for volunteers- he will keep a database of contacts for those who have expressed some interest to anyone about volunteering. Also discussed that we will need to do some recruiting to fill some roles.Action: all of us give any contacts/ leads we have to Joshua.Action: Joshua will format them in a Google document.Action: Rebecca will follow up with Tunna about his interest.Action: Danielle will investigate other event sites, and the touchflame burnwiki about finding role definitions/ documents that define expectations.Action: Online assessment once the 15th arrives, and let’s all not let this slip through the cracks.Action: Troy will check news section of website that the call for team leads is up.Topic: Mission StatementLots and lots of discussion and wordsmithing and philosophy. Assessed that this topic needs more time than we have on hand, and that we are still in the drafting stage.Action: every board member interested is encouraged to take the concepts discussed thus far and wordsmith a mission statement by the 22nd. Rebecca will research definition and purpose of a mission statement.Topic: Art grantsDecided to in some part fund an effigy and a temple for the event with funds from Alchemy. In lieu of art grants, we agree to fund art not thru ticket sales but through fundraising or other possible avenues. Action: choose art lead after deadline, Rebecca will be in touch with lead and discuss meeting date to discuss creating a fundraiser event. Meeting open to anyone interested in involvement.Meeting adjourned (i think) 5:40 pm.