The mission of FAI is to create spaces and events guided by the 10 Principles© of Burning Man™, to further artistic expression, and to nurture our community.
FAI provides education to the greater community regarding the sociological ideas and theories of …
- radical inclusion
- gifting economies
- radical self-reliance
- radical and lawful self-expression
- community building and effort]
- civil responsibility
- leaving no trace
- and immediacy,
…by providing the structures and environments necessary to foster and engage in such education, and strives to do so for all ages whenever possible and lawful.
FAI Board of Directors Election
Congratulations to the new Board members, Luis Uribe and Kevin Wilson. Luis was already on the board; Kevin replaces Dale Lyles, who is stepping down after his one term as secretary.
FAI 2019 Financial Report
Our next board meeting: January 16
FAI Board meetings are open to the public.
Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, and in compliance with best practices, the FAI Board of Directors will hold its monthly meetings remotely rather than meeting in person. Meetings are still open to the public; the link to the remote login will be posted at http://flashpointart.org/index.php/agenda/ on the day of the meeting. In-person meetings will resume when public health officials advise that it is safer to do so.
To join the meeting remotely:
Meeting ID: 987 9654 7071
One tap mobile
+13017158592,,98796547071#,,1#,288565# US (Germantown)
+13126266799,,98796547071#,,1#,288565# US (Chicago)
Dial by your location
+1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
Meeting ID: 987 9654 7071
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kectTsPeF7
The agenda will be posted here.
Check out the new board members and officers on the About The Board page.
2021 Alchemy Event Committee
Our next burn:
tl;dr: If it is at all possible, we will have Alchemy Oct 21–24, 2021. The decision on whether we can do so will be made by the Event Committee; they will make that decision in late June/early July based on publicly announced criteria.
The Board of Directors of Flashpoint Artists Initiative have made the following provisional decisions about Alchemy 2021:
- We will establish an Event Committee in January (Jan 16) to plan for and make final decisions about the feasibility and advisability of having the event safely. The Board thanks Cat McEarchern for serving as provisional lead to begin work on the EC.
- Since the world is beginning to think about seeing the light at the end of the Covid-19 tunnel, all eyes are looking to the end of 2021 to start burning again. To that end, we are pencilling in Oct 21–24 as the dates for Alchemy. We know there will be inevitable conflicts in the calendar; we hope setting a date will help our community make their plans.
- The Event Committee will announce the criteria for their ultimate decision at the February BOD meeting (Feb 20).
- The Event Committee will weigh all the elements (vaccine widely available; CDC transmission levels; local authorities’ input; vendor availability, etc.) with the intention of making the final decision in late June/early July. (Those years of wandering in the wilderness have certainly prepared us to pull off a “100-day burn.”)
- The Event Committee will itself pull together the necessary infrastructure/planning until the decision is made to move ahead with holding Alchemy, at which time Team Leads and other leadership positions will be filled and we will proceed as usual.
There is no guarantee that we will be able to hold Alchemy, of course, but we think that we owe it to our community to set ourselves up for success.